Hello! Thanks for stopping by!

My name is Katie, and I am a recent Boston College graduate from the class of 2011. Now, I am a Rostro de Cristo volunteer, and will be spending the year from August 2011—August 2012 in Ecuador!

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Randomness... kind of like life here!

I've been thinking how I want to be writing this blog... if I want it to be based on stories and experiences, or reflections on life here in Sinaí, and I think I've decided on making it a combo of both... so here it goes!
I haven't talked a ton about community in Sinaí, so I guess I'll start with that. My community, Elisa (Mandi), Belén (Bernie), Mateo (Matt), Marisol (Madison) and Patricio (Patrick) are all phenomenal people. I think that we all bring different strengths to the table, that balance each other well! Somehow, most things seem to get done :) We've organized chores by a chore wheel, which includes trash and water, mopping, sweeping, organizing the common room, cleaning the kitchen, and cleaning the chapel. Each of us is in charge of a different chore each week, which is a very maneagable amount, and keeps things exciting! We also have a wheel for nightly prayers, community, and spirituality nights, so that is also a rotation. In terms of our community time together, I have nothing but wonderful things to say about it. We challenge each other in a healthy way, and can also make one another laugh until it hurts. I'm so thankful to have such fun and lively house, but  at the same time reflective and challenging house :) One game that we have latched onto lately is UNO... We just keep playing and playing, and the laughs and smiles never really seem to end. Recently, we were gifted a zapayo by a neighbor (the closest thing ecuador has to a pumpkin), and so of course we attempted pumpkin pie! and it was delicious! it was nice to have a little taste of home :)
Recently at Hogar de Cristo (HC), we were blessed with two volunteers, Jesús and Álvaro, who are also Jesuits-in-training (they are about to complete their second year). They are both 20 years old, and so wonderful to have as a part of our team. Unfortunately they are only here for a month, so they leave this week, which makes me very sad! I feel like the three of us have bonded as 'newbies' in the office, and have also spent a significant amount of time together just laughing and joking around. They have been really patient with my spanish, and have also helped my get the hang of some of the smaller details of spanish (para vs. por or conocer vs. saber). But I will be very sad to my new friends leave :( Regarding Proyecto Misión (my office), I feel like I have spent a lot more time in the campo the past couple of weeks, which has been nice. There are a couple neighbors that I am becoming more familiar with through Misión, and not necesarily Rostro, which I am interested to see how that will pan out.
So our street is full of animals, and at times I feel like I am walking through a farm to pick up breakfast in the morning. We have a neighbor-pig names Teresa (not our choosing), and we say goodmorning to her every morning as we walk by! There are seemingly infinite dogs running around, as well as cats, ducks, chickens, etc. The other morning I was walking back from getting bread for breakfast, and walking down our street is a man with a goat on a leash yelling "leche! leche!" (milk! milk!)... he was selling milk directly from the goat! It definitely started my day off with a smile :)
Personally, the biggest adjustment I've had to make is just plain old loosening up. At home, I needed to do everything WHEN it needed to be done and exactly HOW it was supposed to be done... life just doesn't work that way here. There is something called Ecua-time (I don't know if I have mentioned it), which means people show up whenever they show up and are hardly ever on time. On time here is usually at least 20 minutes after something is scheduled. And I'm slowly becoming okay with that! Yesterday, Belén and I went to the Rosary in another neighborhood, and we were a tad late (5 minutes), so we were sent to find it on our own instead of walking with the group. Well, we got on the wrong bus which dropped us by the church, and since we knew that someone had gone to wait for us at the bus stop, we walked up to the church to call to let them know that we would not be making it. Of course, because Ecuadorians are so hospitable, they waited 45 minutes before we informed them that we would not actually be making it. So, we enjoyed tea with Patrick (a volunteer helping out Father John), and walked home. Along the way we met the family of one of the youth group brothers, Isidro and Denis, and so that was an unexpected surprise and really exciting! And of course to top it off, there was a BEAUTIFUL sunset on the walk home... So what started as a major bummer (we got lost and couldn't go to rosary) turned into an afternoon of surprises! I'm starting to learn that you work with what you have, and although it probably won't turn out like you planned, it can still turn into something great!
 
Well, that's the best I got.... for those of you who have sent letters, thank you so much!!! they have been such a joy to read :)
 
Lots of Love, Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment